Sunday, May 25, 2008

Did you ever think, when you were in your 20's and 30's that when we reached middle age, certain things would, or even could change?

I've done a lot of research and talking to other people of our ”baby boomer” generation,I have reached this conclusion: Nothing will change unless we make it so!

If we are dealing with a weight problem, is it because we are eating to satisfy a want that is not within our grasp? If we are dealing with a hypertensive problem, is it because we don't have a release for our frustrations? Both of these problems are often found together: overweight and high blood pressure. Many factors can play a part in high blood pressure, including genetics, diet, weight and stress. Being overweight and dealing with large amounts of stress are two of the most common causes. We eat to calm ourselves and the weight goes on. As the weight goes on, we tend to have less energy, and consequently are less likely to exercise, thereby causing us to gain more weight.... And so, the vicious circle continues. This is very common, and in my opinion about 95% of the people with a weight problem also have a lot of difficulty dealing with stress. The other 5% or so goes the other way, they skip the food and loose weight the improper way. Either way the weight gain or loss can be a detriment to your health. Whoever said that life is easy, was either rich or crazy.

The basic rules of life is everything in moderation. Sometimes, that is not an easy thing. Easier said than done.Yes, I realize that I am speaking from a standpoint that I have accomplished a huge weight loss, but remember I am still fighting the battle. (In case you missed my previous post, I lost 185 lbs in my mid-50's--after being seriously obese all of my life since childhood!) I may have lost the weight, but I am still battling to keep it off. My attitude is to be me and keep up the fight, because I do not like to go to the store and buy clothes that were a size 46W! I like to walk to the clothes department and buy a size 10. Much easier and a larger selection!! Not to say that I don't feel better and can do more before I feel tired. My medications are much less to take since the weight loss, as well.

All I can do is to give you the encouragement to work on your diet and do exercises like walking and if you enjoy dancing go for it. It is more fun to do things to music and keep the beat, than to let the beat get you and all the opposite things happen. Remember it's all in your attitude and your wants, you can do it with or without help. The important thing is that you loose the weight and maintain the loss. It is a very positive thing for your health.

Rosemarie

Side comment from Kat: Okay, Okay, Ro, you got me on that one--I'm in the 5% that tends not to eat, especially when I'm stressed. I guess that's why I'm underweight and got no rear end!!

Please watch this video about obesity. It's a real eye opener.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz87VR-6ILE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi...I just saw the comment that was left on my blog. I have been away for some time dealing with some family issues and I am trying to get back to my blogging. Thanks for the comments. I am actually a writer trying to break out into the world. My stories, while true, can be heartbreaking for some to read (my exhusband physically abused me) so I try to write some humorous and entertaining things for the general public. Stop on back and let me know what you think. By the way...my sister just had gastric bypass surgery in December and has lost 120 lbs. She looks amazing but I am worried about her. That is a lot of weight to lose in 7 months.